On this page:
You need a visa to travel to Australia unless you are an Australian citizen.
An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is an electronically stored authority equivalent to a visa, which is linked to a passport number.
The ETA allows eligible passport holders (including Malaysian and Brunei nationals) to visit Australia for tourism or business visitor activity. The ETA allows you to travel as many times as you want, for up to one year (or life of the passport - whichever is shorter), and stay up to three months for each visit, provided you are pursuing tourism or business visitor activity.
The same passport used to obtain an ETA must be used to travel to Australia. If your passport has changed, you will need to apply for a new ETA.
We recommed that you do not make travel arrangments or commitments until you have received advice that you have been granted a visa.
Important information to note
- The processing time for ETA applications is approximately two weeks
- We advise applicants not to make travel commitments until advised of a visa grant. If you have made travel arrangements, and your application is still within the processing time, you should contact your travel advisor to rearrange your bookings.
- Due to the number of enquiries received, we cannot provide processing updates if your application is within the processing time.
- We cannot escalate cases unless for compelling emergency reasons (pre-arranged travel is not a compelling reason and we are unable to respond to these requests).
Please apply for your ETA at least two weeks before you intend to travel.
Certain passport holders, including Malaysian and Brunei nationals, can apply for an ETA online. To lodge an application online, please visit the Department's website: https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas.
Sometimes there will be a delay before the system can finalise your application, but most decisions are instanteous. You can check the progress of your application using the 'check ETA' function.
All ETA-eligible applicants can also apply for an ETA through a travel agent, airline or specialist service provider (you should check with your travel agent regarding whether they will charge you a fee for this service).
If your ETA application is not approved online, you must email further information to the Department of Home Affairs. Details are found below.
Please do not approach (or call) the Australian High Commission in person as your application must be received by email.
The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. The required information is listed below.
To lodge an application for an ETA, you will need to provide:
- A completed ETA Additional Information Request Form (download the form here); and
- A copy of the ETA applicant’s passport biodata page (the page with the passport holder’s details and photo) and passport observation page; and
- Information to show you genuinely intend to visit Australia temporarily for tourism or business visitor activity purposes only:
- Information about your intended stay and activities in Australia. Please include evidence of any arrangements made (if any), such as paid accommodation bookings and airfares
- A list of your family members (including full names and dates of birth). Please indicate which of these family members will be travelling with you
- A list of other travelling companions (including full names and dates of birth)
- A list of family, friends and contacts in Australia (including full names and dates of birth). Please indicate if they are Australian citizens or permanent residents. If not, please indicate their visa status and reason for their stay in Australia
- Bank statements showing at least the previous three months’ salary payments
- Evidence of your employment / commitments that demonstrate your intention to return. This could be:
- An employer statement indicating your annual salary and approved leave, or
- If you and/or your sponsor are self-employed, business registration documents and financial records for the business (such as recent bank statements and tax statements), or
- Other evidence of incentives to return such as ongoing education or other commitments in your home country.
If you are not employed, please provide other evidence of from the person who supports you (including evidence of your relationship with that person).
Email the required information to email@example.com. Do not send us multiple emails as this may delay your application.
- Emails should not exceed 5MB (messages that exceed size limits will be rejected by email servers).
- Please send one email per application.
- Quote your passport number in the subject line of your email.
You will receive an auto-generated acknowledgement from us when we receive your application. We will send you another email once we make a decision on your ETA application.
If your application is not successful, we will advise you of the reasons in a decision letter. If you disagree with our decision, you may lodge a new application and provide further evidence to address concerns (this must include the required information specified above). We are unable to respond to other emails.