Australian High Commission

Visas and Citizenship


Welcome to the Department of Home Affairs at the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur.


COVID-19 – Current restrictions on travel to Australia and changes to visa processing services

Travel Restrictions

Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia.

All persons, including current visa holders, who are not Australian citizens, permanent residents or immediate family members cannot travel to Australia at this time.

Please see the following page on the Department of Home Affairs website for more information: Travel restrictions are subject to change and you should check the website regularly. See below for detail on exemptions.

During this period:

  • All visa processing will experience delays, including all Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) applications and all other applications previously lodged with the Australian High Commission.
  • The Department of Home Affairs is prioritising processing visa applications for those travellers in the exempt categories to support urgent travel.
  • We encourage applicants to apply online wherever possible, as these applications will be processed faster than those lodged on paper.

Biometrics Collection

The Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) in Kuala Lumpur operates in line with the Movement Control Order (MCO) as mandated by the Malaysian Government. This means only limited operations during the MCO including for Biometrics collection. Please visit the AVAC website for current operating arrangements.

You can use your existing Requirement to provide personal identifiers (biometrics) letter to book and attend an appointment when available. If you have applied for your visa online, a copy of this letter is available in your ImmiAccount. To make an appointment to provide biometrics, visit the AVAC website.

We are aware that you may not be able to provide biometrics due to Malaysia's Conditional Movement Control Order (MCO). You do not need to contact us if restrictions prevent you from travelling to the AVAC.

The AVAC will not accept paper applications. You should lodge a visa application online (see below).

Travel Restriction Exemptions for Visa Holders

Only certain people can travel to Australia:

  • You can travel if you are an Australian citizen, or permanent resident of Australia.
  • You can travel if you are a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia and can demonstrate your residency.
  • Partner and Child visa holders (except for Prospective Marriage visa holders) may travel to Australia

Limited exemptions apply for some visa holders:

  • If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident but are an immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident (spouse, dependent or legal guardian), you should provide proof of your relationship before you seek to travel but only if you hold a visa. Please do not seek to travel until advised that you can do so (even if you hold a visa).

For more information on the travel ban and to proof of relationship as an immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, visit the Home Affairs website: The link to provide proof of your relationship is at the bottom of the page.

If you do not hold a visa

If you do not hold a visa you cannot travel to Australia.

Apply for a visa through this website:

Certain passport holders may be able to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) as part of the Australian ETA mobile app pilot. See: ETAs and Australia's Travel Restrictions for more information.

If we grant you a visa you must not travel until advised that you are exempt from the travel restriction.

Apply for the exemption here once you have obtained your visa:

Travellers, who are neither Australian citizens, permanent residents or immediate family, but who have a compassionate or compelling reason to travel to Australia, will need to have an exemption from the Australian Border Force Commissioner. You must not attempt to travel until advised that you are exempt from the travel restriction. For more information, please see:

Refunds & waivers of visa application charges

Some visa holders impacted by Australia's COVID-19 travel restrictions may be able to access a refund or a waiver of their Visa Application Charge (VAC).

  • Prospecitive Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders unable to enter Australia before their visa ceased may be eligible for a refund of the VAC
  • If you were granted a Working Holiday Maker (subclass 462) visa, you may be able to receive a VAC waiver for a future application or a refund. A VAC waiver will apply for a further application if you were unable to travel to Australia because of travel restrictions or had to depart Australia early due to COVID-19. If you have since passed the age limit for a WHM visa and are not eligible to lodge a further application, you will be able to receive a refund instead.
  • A VAC waiver will be available for Visitor (Tourist) (subclass 600) visa holders whose visas expired while outside Australia following implementation of COVID-19 travel restrictions on 20 March 2020.

Eligible applicants can request a refund through the online form: COVID-19 travel restrictions – Visa application charge (VAC) refund request form (

For further information, please visit

Information for Malaysian Nationals leaving Malaysia

If you hold a temporary visa and have obtained an exemption to travel to Australia, please be aware the Malaysian government is currently imposing restrictions on some citizens departing Malaysia, and may still prevent you from departing Malaysia. We recommend you carry hardcopies of your visa grant letter and evidence that you have been exempted from Australia's travel restrictions.



Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

Information about applying for an ETA is here.

If your ETA application cannot be processed and you need to provide further information, follow the instructions here.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

You can find answers to all our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) here.

Electronic Travel Authorities (ETAs)

Applying for other visas

If you have already lodged a visa application

I already have a visa

Australian Citizenship by Descent


Warning regarding visa scams in Malaysia

For information on known visa scams in Malaysia, click here.


International surrogacy arrangements

The Department of Home Affairs  exercises extreme caution to ensure that, where surrogacy arrangements are made outside Australia, our citizenship provisions are not misused to circumvent adoption and other child welfare laws.

Persons considering bringing a child to live in Australia must apply for either a visa or Australian citizenship by descent and should first read the information available on the Department’s website. It is important to consider any visa, citizenship and passport application requirements, as well as processing times, before entering into any arrangements.

Citizenship by descent applications through surrogacy may take longer to process than other citizenship by descent applications due to the additional assurance measures required in assessing such applications.


News/Important Information


General Enquiries

The Australian High Commission is unable to respond to  visa, citizenship or customs enquiries.  You should visit the Department of Home Affairs website at Immigration and citizenship ( or call the Home Affairs Global Service Centre number on +61 2 6196 0196, open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (Malaysia time).

Citizenship by Descent 

Citizenship by Descent applications lodged on or after 1 October 2020 will be processed in Australia.  

We strongly recommend that you lodge an application using the Department’s online service here.

If you are unable to lodge online please post your citizenship by descent application to the following address:

     Citizenship Section
     Department of Home Affairs
     GPO Box 794
     HOBART  TAS  7001




For information on ways to become an Australian citizen and citizenship services, see the Australian Citizenship page of the Department's website.

Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas

  • The Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa program is open to eligible Malaysian nationals.

  • There are 1,100 places available for Malaysian nationals each year.  You should apply as soon as possible if you wish to be considered for a Work and Holiday visa. 

  • Applicants from Malaysia must lodge online. For information about applying please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


Previous News

  • From 1 July 2018 applications for Partner and Prospective Marriage visas must be lodged online, via ImmiAccount.  More information on the changes is available on the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website.  Payment of the visa application charge will need to be made online via the ImmiAccount portal.
  • From 1 July 2018 applications for Other Family (Carer, Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative) visas must be sent by post or courier to the Perth Visa and Citizenship Office. More information on the changes is available on the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website. Payment of the visa application charge will need to be made online via the ImmiAccount portal.
  • From 1 July 2018 applications for Transit visas must be lodged online, via ImmiAccount.  More information on the changes is available on the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website.
  • From 31 May 2018 Student visa applicants who apply in Malaysia will be required to provide biometric identifiers. This will assist the Department of Home Affairs' capacity to identify and authenticate visa applicants - strengthening Australian border security measures. Biometric data is an important tool in identity management globally, helping countries facilitate the arrival of travellers and combat fraud and integrity risks.

  • Mandatory appointment system - From 1 November 2017, it is mandatory to have an appointment for the submission of visa application and enrolment of biometrics at the  Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC).
  • The Australian Government has announced the establishment of a Community Support Programme (CSP) from 1 July 2017.  The CSP will enable communities and businesses, as well as families and individuals, to propose humanitarian visa applicants and support new humanitarian arrivals in their settlement journey.  More information can be found here.
  • For visa arrangements for Australian students travelling to Malaysia, click here.


Contact us


This page was last updated on 1 October 2020.